Saturday, March 17, 2007

The fair pt. 2

After the experience at the Sharjah career fair, I had hoped to see improvement at the Dubai fair, which was many many times larger than any career fair that had taken place thus far.

It was bitter.

Let me give you a little story:

I went to Procter and Gamble playing the role of obnoxious, rascist local in search of an internship ( I was actually there to test their mettle)

Two ppl at the stand: an eygptian lady, making herself out to be a local, and a half - local girl who was far too sparkly to be at a career fair. (NOTE: This isnt word for word, but rather a summary of the juicy bits)

Me: What makes you better than unilever?

Them: We are #1! (with a smile)

Me: So how many locals do you have working there?

Them: not many... but Sparkle girl is local. But shes an intern.

Me: (To sparkle girl) Yourean intern... Doesnt count, Im wondering about employees.

Me ---> I kept this attitude up, much to eygpt girl's chagrine... I could almost pinpoint the moment she went defensive. Sparkle girl to her credit stayed cool.

Me: So if I were to have an internship with you guys, what will I go through?

Eygpt: Well first we would have to see how you qualify, then we would see.

Me: Well the thing is, I was already accepted for an internship by you people last summer... I passed your exam, along with 15 other guys... You never got back to us.

Eygpt: oh yeah,,, In June.

Me ---> At this point I chose to stay silent than to verbally chop her to pieces, and gave her my resume.

Her: Oh yeah, I remember you

Me ---> Still holding my tongue.

Her: ok then, just send me an email with your phone number, and details...

Me: ( in absolute shock at her stupidity) I just gave you my resume.

Her ---> excuse about having so many resumes that she would forget our pleasant conversation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much of the career fair was spent in this fashion, but there was a shining moment: At Unilever, the "#2", I was downright rude with the lady there, and she didnt flinch. Her behaviour was quite simply top - notch, with my rascist questions being answered with tactfulness and a smile ( I wont post the conversation, email me for more on that)

Only 3 other things need to be mentioned, the competition between the etisalat and Du stands was apparent. In my opinion, Du won since Etisalat tried throwing its weight around by having some of the khaleej cup players at the stand, while Du had good old-fashioned quality workers at its stand.

General Electric also did well under a grilling by me, despite only having ONE person at the stand (compared to the 8 at ABN - AMRO)

Nakheel had a tiny hole - in - the wall stand, especially considering emaar came out full force. And the design of that stand, and all the other next to it (including Jebel Ali freezone @ Gulfpearl) was terrible do to the flimsy plastic - panel floors with what I believed was broken glass under them... It was downright freaky walking there.

So... Thats my review of the fair... Disappointing overall despite the bright spots.

Stone Sour - 30/30 150

11 comments:

ADinamorato said...

and tell me, how many locals do they recruit by the end of the fair?

As far as unprofessional, have you seen anything professional in this society? Its evident in the attitude many locals have towards life.

"shooooo ashti'3il mowa'6af, maa atnazil, aba modeeeer !!"

aka "give me high end job now !!"

so then most end up in some fake governmental project where they only have to sit on a desk and sign random paper.

3li said...

Your one to talk,.,. Mister R n D

:-p

Fragile said...

adinamor you r wrong about the locals attitude !!!

it is the opposite, guys and girls been looking for jobs for more than 3 years and they will accept anything that fits into the applicant qualifications...

i*maginate said...

Damn, did I miss the fight?

Boys Lie said...

Job fairs can be disappointing, sometimes people land the job of their dreams, but most of the time it seems unlikely.

Arabized said...

>> Du had good old-fashioned quality workers at its stand. <<

I couldnt help but to laugh while at the stand and when leaving the stand.

-sigh-

I found the career fair to be very very disappointing.

There were lots of puppets with their strings being pulled.

Arabized said...

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2823728

Anonymous said...

Hola ... honestly I didnt bother to go dnt know i feel that they are no use ... !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Furthermore, ADinamorato When i 1st came back from the UK i thought the same of my country's youth but now I can tell you with so much confidence you are wrong just like i was wrong not all are like this we shouldnt generalize just like fragile mentioned not all have this attitude and some would accept a job even if it pays them little!


:)

Hanan said...

A couple of years ago, I was training at a new bank in Abu Dhabi. They asked all the emirati employees to attend the career fair to talk about the company. I guess the HR person coordinating the event checked the database and called up all the Emiratis. A couple of local guys did show up but kept on wandering to check our the girls at the other stands. The people who got to stay at the booth were 3 filipina operators and 2 pakistani accountants (All married to locals)
Now with all due respect, that is NOT what people want to see!!!

rosh said...

You know, I never bought the story, local folk are unable to find a job in their OWN country?! For feck sake, tons of foreigners find jobs left, right, center and anywhere in between. Hell until 2007 I used to receive random calls from UAE now and then..and I wasn't even looking to move!

I just don't get it.