Friday, February 24, 2006

Society

An in depth examination of the UAE social structure is out of place this late at night, I will post more on the subject later.
But I will say this,.,.

Socially, the country is split into a few large groups: The 3eemis, the Arabs, The balushis, and the mtjanseen.

3eemis tend to be educated and open-minded (varies from person to person). The basic definition of 3eemi in arabic is foriegner; Owing to the widely acknowledged fact that they originated from Iran. As a result, many 3eemis are considered very fair (colour - wise) in this land. Most 3eemis came from Iran as traders, but some Arabs, whom I will explain about shortly, are also considered 3eemi if they went to (and lived in) Iran for trading activities. Many prominent trading families here in the UAE are 3eemi.

Arabs, are usually the ones driving the culture of the UAE. The Sheikhs of the UAE (and their tribes) are considered to be Arabs. Before the oil boom, most Arabs where bedouins, living off the land (and the sea), and where divided into tribes. These tribes still exsist and dwell in the UAE. In the past, due to their nomadic lifestyles, Arabs werent really that educated, but due to modernisation, education is starting to be widely accepted among Arabs. The bedouin lifestyle is not totally obsolete though, many Arabs still hold bedouin values and traditions in the UAE.
The bedouin Arabs here usually have views that are in a western view will be both very comendable but a little backwards at the same time. For example, many bedouins are brutally honest in what they say, but sometimes brutal honesty is,.,. Brutal. Personally, I view a true bedouin friend one of the best a man could have, since they are a very loyal bunch.

Next up, are the balushis,.,. They are pretty much 3eemi, but with a twist. They are not as educated as the 3eemis, and originally come from Balochistan, a land between Pakistan and Iran .

Finally, the mtjanseen, are foreigners who have been given UAE passports, usually because they offered some great service to the country.

Now, the problem we are facing here in the UAE, is that every group thinks his is the best, causing serious rifts in the society.,.,. And the results of this train-of-thought are group-specific marriages, 3eemi families dont marry into arab families and vice versa, Balushi families stick to their own community, and mtjanseen are basically stuck with no one to marry (since they are so few).
I believe that this train of thought is destructive to the nation and to muslims as a whole. period.
Where is the logic in not letting your daughter marry a man whos familly is a little different than yours? Change should be embraced.
The problem is deeply racial in my view, and is a plague, a poison, and a darkness in this fair land.

I will discuss more about this later on, when im more awake :-)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that could be said for the arabs as a whole.
All this racism causes distrust, and this distrust doesnt build anything between people.

Anonymous said...

Race doesn't matter. The term Mutjanseen is a racist one and is normally used to belittle those who are.

Why do you see the 3eemi's as more educated? Where are the statistics to back these claims? The way I see it, baloshi's and 3eemi's are of equal intelligence in this country. There are a lot of 3eemi's that are un-educated as there are baloshi's. Claiming otherwise seems racist. So please watch what you say/state.

There are lots of Arab tribes here that you seem to forget about. Yes, true the 3eemi/Baloshi populations do overcome that, but it's not to a level where we can say "Only the sheikhs are Arabs." Technically the term Arab, means those who are from Yemen, Saudi, Oman and Bilad Al-shaam. You use the term Arab carelessly here. I say this, becareful what you type or say.

The term society nowdays disgusts me. I hate the "Omg you're 3eemi, I don't like you." Or the "Hmm you're 3eemi? I'll make sure you get a better job soon." Humans disgust me. Their nature disgusts me.

Cheers and Tc,

Mr.2

Even the people who never frown eventually break Down.

http://spaces.msn.com/forgoten-silenced/

3li said...

"The term Mutjanseen is a racist one"

I am not a rascist.

Mtjanseen is basic arabic, which when defined, loosly translates into "nationalized"

"Why do you see the 3eemi's as more educated? "

My words were: "3eemis tend to be educated",.,. I said TEND to be educated. In addition, I said that it varies from person to person.
I stated that they TEND to be educated, for the following reasons:

one, There are more prominent 3eemi traders than most other groups due to their education. ( I backed this up by pointing out that prominent 3eemi traders exsist.)

Two, I am 3eemi, and thankfully know my own community.

As for the balushi community being as educated as the 3eemi one, I reiterate my point on traders. How many famous balushi trading families are there? Think hard, and you will see my point. I mean to talk more on this position in my next post aptly named "Society part II". (BTW I believe stats of a group-specific nature have not been properly undertaken here in the UAE.)

"There are lots of Arab tribes here that you seem to forget about"

I devoted an entire section of the article to the Arab individual, and stated that the arabs where "divided into tribes"

"3eemi/Baloshi populations do overcome that"

overcome what, exactly? did I say anything about 3eemi/balushi people overcoming anything. Some Clarity would be appreciated.

"Only the sheikhs are Arabs."

If you read the post properly, you would not that not once did I say: "Only the Sheikhs are Arabs", but rather that they "are considered to be Arabs"

"You use the term Arab carelessly here"

I am not. The post is about the UAE society, so logically I am talking about the UAE arab. Furthermore (to clarify), I was defining the various groups that exsist here in the UAE as nationals (Mtjanseen: "foreigners who have been given UAE passports"). Yemenis, Saudis, and whatever else you can think of are not UAE nationals. Read the post properly.

----------------------------

As for the rest of your post: I think its quite true that society, especially ours needs a little bit of help.

"Even the people who never frown eventually break Down." --> too true.

Cheers and TC, Mr2

MJ said...

I'm not sure I really want to discuss this because what I think and believe is so different from reality and I try to make a difference but I had endless discussions with my family about this. *headache*

People should live together and marry from each other because then no one would be able to put people in groups, we would all be 'Emarati's' and that's it.

Yes, 3eemi people were known as the 'more educated' and 'better in business' people.

Also, only people who are living this and are from 'inside' this will understand how 'serious' people take this whole issue. They would accept them, friend them, make business and everything but they would draw the line at marriage.

BUT, from what I see around me, the last generation just broke all the rules, everyone is marrying everyone, but that's only true for men. Its okay for a guy to marry a 3emi woman but an 'Arab Emirati' woman can't marry a 3emi guy.

Now, I have a question, is it true that there are two 3emi's, some who speak some other language (Farsi?) at home and all, and there is the other group that is so like the Arab Emarati's?

The stats showed that there are FOUR men for every woman, so I just suggest she should try her chances in each group. Peace.

Anonymous said...

"People should live together and marry from each other because then no one would be able to put people in groups, we would all be 'Emarati's' and that's it."

What a lovely though.

"Now, I have a question, is it true that there are two 3emi's, some who speak some other language (Farsi?) at home and all, and there is the other group that is so like the Arab Emarati's?"

Yes, those who have escaped iran for certain reasons and want to leave their cultures behind and those who want to keep their culture. Yes it is true.


Cheers,
Mr.2

3li said...

Um,.,. 3eemis usually have no idea of what farsi is like since they speak 3eemi, a language that is kind of iranian, but not quite. And yes there are 3eemis like that, though all of em speak arabic, some families tend to be more arabic than others...also, the newer generation is more immersed into the arab side of things, I myself and most of my 3eemi friends dont know how to speak 3eemi :-)

UaE MaX said...

to be honest with you, its not 3emi 3rabi thing when it comes to marriage, even between arabs they will only accept guys from certain tribes ! and wont accept yamnais and so on.
the arabs have always been obssessed with "alo9ool" and " alansaab" so it affects every aspect of their daily life. nothing wrong with that as long as it does not contradict with isalm, as in the case of marriage.
cheers

BuJ said...

In the 1970s and 1980s it used to be:

asli v 3eemi v wafid

Now it seems to be :

asli v 3eemi v mtjanseen.


What's next?

Personally I don't like to split people according to origin or type of passport etc..

Someone once said that the UAE is a pot with not much melting. That's true. Only when we start to let go of such frivolous things and look at the bigger picture will we begin to walk with the giants.

Anonymous said...

nice post Buj... took the words outta my mouth ;p

Anonymous said...

You really need to grow up! to say that balushi's are not as bright as anyother citizen or native THAT clearly means that you got no clue about the demographics of this region and how it has been shaped.

It was the omani arab alliance with the balushi's in Gwader that we fought back the persians getting into the sub-con. And not to mention the Dhofar and Saudi wahabi war waged against us, which was crushed in a way that it never existed or happened Thanks to the balushi blood.

Because of people like you,They world say that Arabs are the most ungrateful people.

Since we are at it, Thank you West for inventing Cars etc etc... that made us sell oil.

Thank you